Subha Madhavan, PhD
Chief Data Scientist, Associate Dean, Health Informatics & Data Science, Associate Professor of Oncology and Biomedical Informatics
Dr. Subha Madhavan is the Chief Data Scientist at the Georgetown University Medical Center and Director of the Innovation Center for Biomedical Informatics (ICBI) and Associate Professor of Oncology. She is a world-class leader in data science, clinical informatics and health IT who is responsible for several biomedical informatics efforts including the software development of Georgetown Database of Cancer (G-DOC) a resource for both researchers and clinicians to realize the goals of personalized medicine and co-directs Lombardi Cancer Center’s Biostatistics and Bioinformatics shared resource.
In her role as the CTSA biomedical informatics director, she has enabled access to over 2.5 million patient records from 10 MedStar Health hospitals to translational researchers. She was the PI on the Breast and Colon Cancer Family Registries data center that coordinates public health and epidemiology data across 12 sites in the US, Australia, and Canada. More recently, she has partnered with the FDA on the Center for Excellence in Regulatory Science program to develop evidence bases for pharmacogenomics and vaccine safety. She collaborated with the Inova translational medicine institute to help manage 1000’s of patient genomes on the Amazon cloud to facilitate large-scale statistical analysis and genotype-phenotype association testing. She has contributed to novel information sciences findings in research articles published in journals such as Nature, Bioinformatics, Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB), AJPM, Frontiers in Oncology, Bioinformatics, Cancer Informatics, and Molecular Cancer Research (MCR).
Prior to joining Georgetown, Dr. Madhavan served as the Associate Director of Product and Program Management in the Life sciences informatics area at NCI’s Center for Biomedical Informatics and Information technology. At NCI she led a group of scientists, physicians and software engineers in building REMBRANDT (REpository for MolecularBRAin Neoplasia DaTa) – a data platform that hosts and interconnects clinical data points with various genomics datasets from large brain tumor clinical trials. This effort won the Service to America Award. While at NCI she also established the data coordination center for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), managing genomic data of approximately 100 TB over a period of 3 years.
Dr. Madhavan has a Master’s degree in Information Technology from University of Maryland and a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Biological Sciences from the Uniformed Services University for the Health Sciences through a highly ranked Indo-US Collaborative program.
View a complete list of her publications on Google Scholar.
- De novo assembly and annotation of transcriptomes from two cultivars of Cannabis sativa with different cannabinoid profi…P McGarvey, J Huang, M McCoy, J Orvis, Y Katsir, N Lotringer, I Nesher, … Gene 762, 145026 , 2020
- ClinGen somatic cancer working group: Disseminating standardized cancer molecular diagnostic data and evidence through g…S Rao, D Ritter, A Danos, G Raca, A Roy, K Krysiak, WH Lin, E Barnell, … Cancer Research 80 (16 Supplement), 3215-3215 , 2020
- A Danos, K Krysiak, EK Barnell, AC Coffman, JF McMichael, S Kiwala, … Cancer Research 80 (16 Supplement), 3211-3211 , 2020
- The Virtual Molecular Tumor Board of the Variant Interpretation for Cancer Consortium: A systematic gateway connecting c…BA Pitel, S Rao, CDV Fitz, S Madhavan, R Dientsmann, P Horak, I King, … Cancer Research 80 (16 Supplement), 3222-3222 , 2020
- AH Wagner, RK Hart, L Babb, RR Freimuth, A Coffman, Y Liang, B Pitel, … Cancer Research 80 (16 Supplement), 1096-1096 , 2020